You can ask any car accident lawyer in Boston and they’ll tell you the same thing. If you don’t call the police after your crash, you’re really hurting your chances of recovering damages. The information contained in police reports can be critical to your case.
There are a few things you need to do after a Boston car accident. It doesn’t matter whether it’s a serious accident or a minor fender bender. If you do these things, you’ll give your Boston car accident attorney the best chances of getting you compensation for your injuries.
First, you need to call the cops. The police will come to the scene immediately and conduct a thorough investigation. They’ll also check to see if the other driver has a valid license and insurance. The other thing they’ll do is check to see if any of the drivers involved is under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
Second, you need to get medical treatment immediately. The police will arrange for an ambulance as soon as you call them. Even if you don’t think you’re injured, you need to get checked out at the hospital. You’re not a doctor. You don’t know if you’re hurt or not. There are some injuries that you can’t see or feel right away.
Finally, you need to call an experienced car accident attorney in Boston. They’ll make sure your claim is handled properly from the start. They’ll also make sure you get the compensation you deserve.
What Kind of Information do Police Reports Contain?
The police officers in Boston are busy. It’s a very crowded city and there’s a lot of crime going on. However, if they respond to a car accident scene, they’ll take it very seriously. They’ll conduct a complete and thorough investigation of the accident scene.
When they’re done their investigation, the officers will prepare a police report. This report will contain valuable information such as:
- Contact information for the drivers
- Contact information for the eye witnesses
- Pictures of the accident scene and the vehicles
- Description of the accident scene
- Description of the weather and road conditions
- License and insurance information for all drivers involved in the crash
- notes about whether any of the drivers were under the influence of drugs or alcohol at the time of the accident
- Notes about whether any tickets were issued for traffic infractions
You may take a look at this list and figure you could still win your case without this information. You would be wrong. What a lot of people don’t realize is that a lot of this stuff disappears the moment the accident scene is cleared.
The other thing to keep in mind is that witnesses are more willing to talk to a police officer than a lawyer. When the police ask a witness what happened, they’ll tell them. If, however, your attorney calls or knocks on a stranger’s door and asks them to do the same, they’ll be less likely to talk.
You don’t want to make your injury lawyer in Boston’s job any harder than it already is.
Some of this Information Won’t Be Available to Your Lawyer
As mentioned above, some of this vital information won’t be available to your lawyer. Or, if it is, it will very time consuming and expensive to get it. Police reports offer all of this information in one document.
Some of the things your attorney won’t be able to get once the accident scene is cleared includes:
- Verified contact information for the other drivers
- The name and addresses of any witnesses
- Statements made by the drivers and witnesses
- What the roads were like at the time of the crash
- The exact time and location of the crash
- Information on whether the other driver was drunk or high at the time of the crash
- The exact nature of damage to the vehicle
- Confirmation that the other driver has a valid license and insurance
You can send your lawyer on a wild goose chase to find these things but why would you want to?
Contact a Skilled Auto Accident Lawyer in Boston
If you or your loved one are involved in a traffic accident, you’re going to need help. Call and speak with an experienced car accident lawyer in Boston right away. They can answer any questions you may have and let you know what your case may be worth.
Call Soto Law, P.C. and schedule your initial consultation today. It’s absolutely free and you pay nothing until you settle your case.