If you get into a car accident, you need to call the police. They’ll arrive at the scene and conduct a thorough investigation. Their report will include lots of valuable information if you have to dispute an accident report. It can also come in handy if your Boston car accident lawyer needs to file suit.
Some of the information contained in an accident report includes:
- Description of the accident scene and road conditions
- Names and contact information for any witnesses
- Statements made by the witnesses
- Pictures of the victims, the cars and the scene
- Statements made by the drivers involved
- License and insurance information for all parties involved
- Notes about any tickets or citations issues
The cops handle car accidents all the time. They’re used to preparing accident reports. But that doesn’t mean they’re perfect. Police officers make mistakes too. Plus, they have to make judgment calls at the scene. They can only make decisions based on the information they have.
What if the Police Report is Wrong?
There is a chance that some of the information in the police report can be wrong. For example, they may have the make and model of your car written down wrong. Or, they may include a statement that you didn’t really make.
If you notice that there’s an error in the police report, you want to bring it to the officer’s attention right away. This is the information that the insurance companies are going to base their decisions on. It’s also the information that will be used in court, should your Boston car accident lawyer need to file suit.
Some of the information that could be incorrect includes:
- Identification information
- Statements made by the drivers or witnesses
- Whether or not anyone was injured
- The identity of the person who called the police
- Directional information
- Road conditions
- Who caused the accident
Keep in mind, just because you point out that certain information is wrong doesn’t mean the officer will change it. They may recall things differently than you do. Or, they think you’re just trying to avoid liability.
What Steps Should You Take to Dispute an Accident Report in Boston?
If you disagree with information in the accident report, there are things you can do to dispute an accident report. Again – remember that disputing an accident report doesn’t change the accident report. Unless it was a clerical error, the report isn’t going to be amended.
Here are the steps you should take if you need to dispute an accident report in Massachusetts:
- Call the officer who prepared the report – If you notice there is a minor error in the accident report, reach out to the police officer who prepared it. You should see their name on the report itself. Their contact information will likely be on there too. If the error is minor or is just informational, the officer may agree to change it.
- Go to the DMV and ask for a dispute form – If the officer refuses to amend the report, you still have options. Or, if you can’t get in touch with the police officer who wrote the report, you’ll need to contact the DMV. You can file a dispute with the DMV with your version of what happened. At least this way, your version of the accident is documented.
- Contact a Boston car accident attorney to assist you – It’s always a good idea to call and speak with a car accident lawyer who can help get the report amended. Your lawyer will reach out to the officer and the DMV. They’ll also make sure they point out that you attempted to amend the report should your case go to court.
- Contact the insurance company – You lawyer will make sure they speak with both drivers’ insurance companies about the report. The insurance adjuster will make their decision about fault based on the accident report. It’s important that you contact them early, before they make their decision.
The accident report is probably the most important part of your case. The insurance company will use this report to determine fault. This is usually done within a few days of their receiving your accident claim. So, you want to get this amended report to them immediately after it’s issued.
Contact a Car Accident Attorney in Boston Today
If you get into a car accident, the police are going to prepare an accident report. If the report is incorrect, you need to contact a car accident lawyer in Boston at Soto Law P.C. so they can help you get it amended.
Call today and speak with an experienced auto accident attorney in Boston. The initial consultation is free and you pay nothing until your case is settled.