If you get into a car accident in Boston this holiday, there are a few things you need to do. If you don’t do these things, you’re going to make your lawyer’s job a lot harder. They’re going to need certain evidence to prove your case. This is why it’s important that you take these steps immediately after your Boston auto wreck:
- Call the police. No matter how hard the other driver asks you not to, you need to call them.
- Seek medical treatment immediately. Even if you don’t think you’re hurt, you need to get seen by a doctor.
- Call an experienced Boston auto wreck lawyer.
When the police arrive, they’re going to do several things. Some of these are:
- Investigate the accident scene
- Call for an ambulance
- Interview the drivers and any witnesses
- Check to see if anyone’s under the influence of drugs or alcohol
They’re going to put all of their findings into their police report. This report is going to include a lot of important information that your lawyer won’t have access to on their own. Even if they can find some of this information later, it will be expensive and time consuming. The last thing you want to do is make their job harder.
If you’ve been injured in a car accident in Boston, you need to focus on getting better. Let a skilled car accident attorney in Boston handle the legal side of things for you.
Don’t Make Your Boston Car Accident Attorneys Job Harder than it Has to Be
When the officers do their investigation, they’re going to find certain information about the crash. This information is going to be put into the police report. Some of this includes:
- The name and contact information for the drivers
- License and insurance information for both drivers
- A description of the accident scene and road conditions
- Notations about any tickets issued at the scene
- Pictures and videos of the accident scene
- Description of the damage caused to the vehicles
- Contact information for any witnesses
- Statements from the drivers and the witnesses
While your attorney may be able to get some of this information on their own, it’s going to be expensive and time consuming. They may not be able to get it at all. After all, if you don’t find out who the witnesses are at the scene, you’ll have no way of finding out later. The same is true for DUI. Once the accident scene clears, there’s no way to find out if the other driver was drunk or high at the time of the crash.
You’ll Be Able to Demand Certain Damages
The biggest reason you hire a car accident lawyer is so that you can get damages. If you could do this on your own, you wouldn’t need a lawyer. But not all cases are simple enough to be handled on your own. The hardest part of your case may be proving your losses.
Your attorney knows how to prove your damages, some of the things you’ll point out to the jury includes:
- Did you miss a lot of time from work?
- Have you been in a lot of chronic pain?
- Are you depressed because of your injuries?
- Was your car destroyed in the crash?
- Are you ever going to be able to work again?
Make sure you answer these questions honestly. Your attorney needs the full story in order to help you.
What it will come down to is whether you have proof that you were hurt. This can be done using hospital records. You can also use receipts from your prescriptions and medical equipment. Your attorney can go over a checklist with you to make sure you can prove your case. This way, you aren’t flying blind. There’s too much at stake to just trust your instincts.
Contact an Experienced Boston Auto Wreck Lawyer Today
People injured in a car crash aren’t always sure what to do. If the accident is minor, they’re tempted to agree to not call the police. They don’t realize how important the police report can be. In order to prove that the other driver caused the crash, you may only have the police report to fall back on.
If you have any questions about how you handled your crash, call and talk to an experienced Boston lawyer at our office today.